Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Discussions for CodeTyphon Studio Installation and Setup.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2209

• Aleksandar
  • Aleksandar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 31
Are there some windows 7 prerequisites that should be installed before CT?

FPC compiles just fine, but compiling of lazarus fails.

I already restored previous snapshot, so I can not check the logs.

DirectX redistributable maybe? I do not have it installed on that VM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2210

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Away
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

Last edit: by Sternas Stefanos.

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2212

• Aleksandar

sternas wrote: Yes DirectX prerequisites

www.pilotlogic.com/codetyphon/help/directx_samples.htm

So, DirectX is required as I suspected. Compiled without any problem this time.

Thank you.

You should probably add this somewhere in install notes. Some people would probably save a lot of their time if there was a note on install page, not only in help page for DirectX.

Last edit: by Aleksandar.

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2215

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
  • Thank you received: 12
Actually, that was mentioned some time ago (1.8 release time, I believe) and that IS mentioned in the help already (Minimum System Requirements part):

Note: You can use CodeTyphon in OS Emulator like Virtualbox but
remember some CodeTyphon Graphic Libraries (GLScene, Castle, etc) request "true" accelerated Graphic cards

Have fun ;)
コンソールマニアック

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2221

• Aleksandar

4aiman wrote: Actually, that was mentioned some time ago (1.8 release time, I believe) and that IS mentioned in the help already (Minimum System Requirements part):

Note: You can use CodeTyphon in OS Emulator like Virtualbox but
remember some CodeTyphon Graphic Libraries (GLScene, Castle, etc) request "true" accelerated Graphic cards

Have fun ;)

Actually, that is only note about hardware, and not about software.

I was talking about note like "You need to install DirectX redistributable package in order to compile Big IDE even if you do not plan to use DirectX components in your projects". :)

Note like that should be more visible, since now you need to check documentation for pl_Win_DirectX to find out that DirectX redistributable package is prerequisite.

Btw. that note that you copied (mentioning "true" accelerated Graphic cards) is only true for VirtualBox. For VMWare it is wrong! (Or at least, more wrong then true, since I am not sure if host GPU is more important than host CPU.)

I only know that VMWare graphic drivers since version 7 are FANTASTIC! I played Virtua Tenis 2009 in 1024x768 with max details enabled in VMWare on machine with i7 CPU and good Radeon GPU. That virtual machine have Windows system rating of 5.8 (Windows 7 x64 guest on Windows 7 x64 host). Host machine have System rating of 5.9.

I use VirtualBox only because it is free. :)

I hope that 3d drivers for VirtualBox (still in experimental phase) once will be as good as those in VMWare.

And one more thing. As I already wrote few times, I came from Delphi world, where DirectX redistributable package is only needed if you want to compile DirectX samples or for some real 3D programing. It is not required to use DirectShow and DSPack for example, even they use some DirectX functionality.

That's why I didn't expect to have DirectX redistributable package as prerequisite. :)

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2222

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
  • Thank you received: 12
I've used WMWare so loong ago that I just don't remember how it was :)

I have nothing against adding somewhere info about it, but it would be better to creatte some list with a table: package - requirements (if any).

As for my quoting - I find it obvious that if smth need "true accelerated Graphic card" - then smth that provides this acceleration must present ;) WMWare drivers you've mentioned is that very "smth" in your case. And it may be good enough to launch some games (which not so often require DirectX).

"Virtua Tennis 2009" seems to have some software rendering capabilities... The game request software render (when fail to find directx) while WMWare "knows what should be done" and does it's job using host acceleration, provided by DirectX. If one could (just for a test) wipe out his host PC's directX and try to launch Virtua Tennis then we could find out whether it's so. Now I'm really curious about that ;)
コンソールマニアック

Last edit: by 4aiman.

windows 7 prerequisites 11 years 9 months ago #2226

• Aleksandar

4aiman wrote: I've used WMWare so loong ago that I just don't remember how it was :)

I have nothing against adding somewhere info about it, but it would be better to creatte some list with a table: package - requirements (if any).

As for my quoting - I find it obvious that if smth need "true accelerated Graphic card" - then smth that provides this acceleration must present ;) WMWare drivers you've mentioned is that very "smth" in your case. And it may be good enough to launch some games (which not so often require DirectX).

"Virtua Tennis 2009" seems to have some software rendering capabilities... The game request software render (when fail to find directx) while WMWare "knows what should be done" and does it's job using host acceleration, provided by DirectX. If one could (just for a test) wipe out his host PC's directX and try to launch Virtua Tennis then we could find out whether it's so. Now I'm really curious about that ;)

We really should switch this conversation to private, since we start hard offtopic. :)

I think you misunderstood me and that I confused you a little. So lets try to clear few things.

1. Some parts of DirectX are now in Platform SDK (DirectShow for example). Some other parts are still in DirectX SDK.

2. Clean Windows 7 use some DirectX parts and have some DirectX libraries installed (remember that Aero use D2D). It only do not came with all libraries that are in DirectX redistributable package.

3. DirectX redistributable package is needed for Big IDE only because DirectX components are included there.

Now let's back to offtopic. :)

If you have some more questions for this part, please ask in private message. We should continue this here only if sternas think that it would be useful to continue it here, since it have some good information about virtual machines.

4. VMWare emulate DirectX and OpenGL capable graphic card, but I am not sure how much of real GPU power is needed for this emulation. I am not sure since I tested VMWare on laptop with i7 CPU with 4GB of RAM and Radeon 5xxx with 1GB or dedicated RAM. That laptop had Windows system rating of 5.9 in host OS. In guest OS system rating was 5.8 or 5.6 (can't remember). As you can see it have both CPU and GPU power, and that is why I am not sure what is more important in this case.

5. Read this very old article to see what you can expect (actually you can expect a lot more) with VMWare virtualization-3d-support-vmware

6. VirtualBox have experimental support for WDDM drivers, D2D and Aero. I hope once it will be as good as that one in VMWare.

6. "Virtua Tennis 2009" have heavy usage of DirectX, and DirectX was installed on that PC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4aiman

• Page: