Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General discussions, feature requests for CodeTyphon Project and discussions that don't fit in any of the other specific CodeTyphon forum categories.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 4 months ago #11193

• Graeme
  • Graeme's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi,

as of a few days ago, I upgraded my Code Typhon installation to the latest (6.3) version. I have now discovered that I can no longer load any of my projects that were designed in Code Typhon which was an earlier version (about a year old). The project suffix has changed from .lpr to .ctpr. How am I supposed to load or import these older projects? I have tried renaming the original files accordingly with the ct prefix in the filename extensions, but no success. Ironically there is an option to import Delphi programs, but it appears you are out of luck if you have designs originally done in CT.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 4 months ago #11194

• Matis A.
  • Thank you received: 149
Use CTCenter=>CodeTyphon=>Convert Old CT Files to new
more info

You can convert and Lazarus files to new Typhon Files
PilotLogic Core Programmer

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11232

• Hans-Peter Gygax
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm just coming back to the Object Pascal / Delphi world after years in C++, and I was plesantly surprised to see how far Lazarus had come while I was away. I was even more impressed to discover that CodeTyphon offers a kind of "Lazarus on steroids" alternative.

However, I find it problematic that the package files are not compatible. If a package developer wants to support Delphi, Lazarus and CodeTyphon, can he still to that?

I understand that incompatible project files are not the only and probably not the worst problem when trying to support multiple platforms, but I would like to understand the reason behind that decision. I've seen that Lazarus project files have some limitations (no conditional dependencies on other packages), so was the reason a technical one - I mean, do CT project & package files have features that Lazarus' do not, or is PL planning to add such features in the future ?

EDIT: are there specifications for CT project and package files ? (I had a quick look at the wiki but didn't find that.)

EDIT #2: I just compared a converted ctpkg file with the original lpk file and noticed that the converter has replaced the dependency on FCL with adFCL. Does that mean that CT uses an extended but not fully compatible fork of the FCL ?

Last edit: by Hans-Peter Gygax.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11233

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101
Thanks Sir

1) Yes, CT project & package files have features that Lazarus' do not, and we planning to add such features in the future.
2) Yes, CT uses an extended adFCL and adLCL, not fully compatible with FCL and LCL packages.
3) <<If a package developer wants to support Delphi, Lazarus and CodeTyphon, can he still to that?>> Yes, this is very difficult...
4) No specifications for CT files yet

Our team, don't have the same "Programming Vision" with Delphi and Lazarus Teams and this is very clear.

and please give us your help :)
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hans-Peter Gygax

Last edit: by Sternas Stefanos.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11235

• Avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

I find it problematic that the package files are not compatible. If a package developer wants to support Delphi, Lazarus and CodeTyphon, can he still to that?

Yes, he can. If he doesn't use anything CodeTyphon specific then both his projects and components can easily be converted to Lazarus and back to Typhon with ct2laz tool: bitbucket.org/avra/ct2laz

Breaking compatibility with Lazarus was one of the show stoppers for many people, and at the time they have decided to not start any new projects in Typhon. With ct2laz they are on a safe side again, so this is a major benefit that ct2laz brings back to Typhon.

Last edit: by Avra.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11236

• Hans-Peter Gygax

Sternas Stefanos wrote: Thanks Sir

Thank you Sternas (is it ok to address you with your first name, or would you prefer me to use "Sir" as you do? - for myself, and to save typing, I'd suggest you simply use "jp")

1) Yes, CT project & package files have features that Lazarus' do not, and we planning to add such features in the future.

Do you have list of the differences, or can you point me to the source code where I could see them for myself ?

2) Yes, CT uses an extended adFCL and adLCL, not fully compatible with FCL and LCL packages.

Is there a wiki page on this, or could you list the key differences very briefly ?

3) <<If a package developer wants to support Delphi, Lazarus and CodeTyphon, can he still to that?>> Yes, this is very difficult...
4) No specifications for CT files yet

Our team, don't have the same "Programming Vision" with Delphi and Lazarus Teams and this is very clear.

Could you elaborate on this very briefly? I haven't used Delphi in years and have actually (with regret) come to consider it "zombie" software for the last 15 years ("not really alive, but impossible to kill" :-) ); from the looks of it, the "vision" of Embarcadero is making as much money as possible. I cannot say what the vision of the Lazarus team is (other than "resurrecting" Delphi as is implicit in the name), as I've only decided a week ago to give it a serious look. I would very much like to know what the vision of PilotLogic is.

and please give us your help :)

I'm afraid that at this time, asking these questions is the best I can do, to get a clear understanding for myself, and hopefully for others as well.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11237

• Hans-Peter Gygax

Avra wrote:

I find it problematic that the package files are not compatible. If a package developer wants to support Delphi, Lazarus and CodeTyphon, can he still to that?

Yes, he can. If he doesn't use anything CodeTyphon specific then both his projects and components can easily be converted to Lazarus and back to Typhon with ct2laz tool: bitbucket.org/avra/ct2laz

Breaking compatibility with Lazarus was one of the show stoppers for many people, and at the time they have decided to not start any new projects in Typhon. With ct2laz they are on a safe side again, so this is a major benefit that ct2laz brings back to Typhon.

That is not the same tool as the one available in CT Center ("Convert old CT files to new"), is it ?

EDIT: sorry, never mind. It's clear from the screenshot that it isn't.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11238

• Matis A.
  • Thank you received: 149
Our "Vision" is very simple.

A FREE, Powerful and Open Source Programming Studio
with the latest source code, packages and technologies.

PilotLogic Team it's a leading programming team
and this is problem for some people...

We will continues to extent CodeTyphon Studio,
all the others, are behind us... now...

And please, try CodeTyphon Studio.

PS: @AVRA , did you convert and files from CT-FPC ?
because are NOT the same with trunk FreePascal 100%

:woohoo:
PilotLogic Core Programmer

Last edit: by Matis A..

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11239

• Avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Matis A. wrote: A FREE, Powerful and Open Source Programming Studio
with the latest source code, packages and technologies.

I have great respect for PilotLogic work. Infinite number of invested hours amd knowledge show and bring lots of progress to Pascal community.

Matis A. wrote: PS: @AVRA , did you convert and files from CT-FPC ?
because are NOT the same with trunk FreePascal 100%

Every component and project that I needed to convert work both ways. It covers my needs so I can move the same project between Lazarus and CodeTyphon. The initial reason why I have created ct2laz was because I was told in this forum that it is not legal to provide my customers a link to old CT version, and one of my projects was tied to a specific old CT version for a long time. Therefore I had to find a solution if I wanted to continue developing in CT, so I automated conversion to Lazarus because of that need.

Last edit: by Avra.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11240

• Hans-Peter Gygax
Avra,

I'm trying to convert a package that is not part of the packages that come with CodeTyphon, is that possible too ?

Thanks,

JP

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11242

• Avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Hans-Peter Gygax wrote: Avra,
I'm trying to convert a package that is not part of the packages that come with CodeTyphon, is that possible too ?

ct2laz converts both ways, for packages and projects. You can try it and report results. It is not clear to me if you are trying to convert Lazarus package for use in CT or the other way around.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11244

• Hans-Peter Gygax
I'm trying to convert from Lazarus to CodeTyphon. But what I was asking about is wether I can convert a package that is not contained in the CodeTyphon collection.

EDIT: sorry, I seem to have misunderstood something. I see how it works now.

No longer able to load former Code Typhon projects 6 years 3 months ago #11286

• Hans-Peter Gygax
Three things could be improved:

1: resource files need to be renamed: *.lrs <=> *.ctrs
2: inside those resources files: convert LazarusResource <=> TyphonResource
3: pl_generics must be added to the package dependencies if any of the units uses any of the Generics modules

1 and 2 should be easy, but 3 would probably require parsing the sources.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avra

• Page: