Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General discussions, feature requests for CodeTyphon Project and discussions that don't fit in any of the other specific CodeTyphon forum categories.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SVN or MS TFS or some other Code Management 11 years 3 months ago #3029

• Kevin Black
  • Kevin Black's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Good work with CodeTyphon.

New to Lazarus/CodeTyphon. We are a very small organisation of 2 and occasionally 3 developers. We need something like SVN or MS TFS to check-in/check-out code.

I though this came inbuilt with the CodeTyphon Big IDE, but I cannot see it anywhere - my bad if it is staring me in the face. I also did a search of the web and of these forums and didn't find anything of use.

If it's not in the IDE, how do I integrate, say, SVN (or whatever the recommended code management system is)into the IDE. The idea is that we would have local versions of CodeTyphon/Lazarus (Win 7) with the projects on a remote Server 2008 R2 system (ie. the users would simply see the projects on a network drive).

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,
Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SVN or MS TFS or some other Code Management 11 years 3 months ago #3030

• Manos S. Pappas
  • Thank you received: 1

Kevin.black@orexresearch.com wrote: Hi,

Good work with CodeTyphon.

New to Lazarus/CodeTyphon. We are a very small organisation of 2 and occasionally 3 developers. We need something like SVN or MS TFS to check-in/check-out code.

I though this came inbuilt with the CodeTyphon Big IDE, but I cannot see it anywhere - my bad if it is staring me in the face. I also did a search of the web and of these forums and didn't find anything of use.

If it's not in the IDE, how do I integrate, say, SVN (or whatever the recommended code management system is)into the IDE. The idea is that we would have local versions of CodeTyphon/Lazarus (Win 7) with the projects on a remote Server 2008 R2 system (ie. the users would simply see the projects on a network drive).

Any help appreciated...

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I'm not sure if Lazarus BigIDE has built-in SVN support, but I can tell you that CodeTyphon's Lazarus BigIDE has a lot more components than the official one.

May I suggest the following (doing it since 2009): on your Windows clients (Win7) install TortoiseSVN (tortoisesvn.net - available for x86 and AMD64 variants) and use it's Windows Shell integration. You'll have complete commit/checkout support between the clients and your Windows Server machine.
Best Regards,
Manos S. Pappas

Last edit: by Manos S. Pappas.

SVN or MS TFS or some other Code Management 11 years 3 months ago #3031

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You are probably looking for this:
wiki.freepascal.org/LazSVNPkg

SVN or MS TFS or some other Code Management 11 years 3 months ago #3035

• Kevin Black
Hi Manos,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give it a try, but will also try Avra's suggestion. I had previously looked at the lasSVNpkg, but the documentation is sparse and I didn't know whether the 'bits' were available with the source install.

Anyway, thanks to you both, I'll give both suggestions a try.

FWIW (and for the CodeTyphon/Lazarus guys), it seems to me that any serious development environment SHOULD come with some sort of inbuilt version/code control. I don't really care if it is the 'BEST' as long as it is functional. Many if not most developments occur with two or more programmers. Given all the 'stuff' that is built into Lazarus/CodeTyphon it seems to me, at least, to be a serious omission. Sure, people have their favorites, but to present a professional environment it really needs at least some sort of inbuilt code/version control with the full check-in / check-out facilities.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edit: by Kevin Black.

SVN or MS TFS or some other Code Management 11 years 3 months ago #3050

• Kevin Black
I have installed the lasSVNpkg. lazarus (big IDE x64) seemed to rebuild fine (there were two minor error with GL stuff which I don't use so I am assuming this should not be an issue).

After the rebuild I rebooted and fired up CodeTyphon/Lazarus. It (still) works fine, but there is no SVN option under Tools?? Do I need to configure/start/do anything to get it to appear or should it just be there? There isn't much documentation around.

Any help appreciated...

Kevin

EDIT: It worked with the standard Lazarus install, but not with the CodeTyphon/Big IDE/Lazarus install.. I am uninstalling the plain Lazarus install just in case this was messing with the codetyphon stuff....

EDIT: OK, so uninstalled lazarus and CodeTyphon. Reinstalled CodeTyphon and did the lazSVNpkg install and it worked this time. Not sure why it didn't work before other than I had a Lazarus install and a CodeTyphon/Lazarus install on the same box. Anyway, good to go. I will see how it works....

Last edit: by Kevin Black.
  • Page: