Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General discussions, feature requests for CodeTyphon Project and discussions that don't fit in any of the other specific CodeTyphon forum categories.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RAM Drive Installation 11 years 10 months ago #2133

• Bill Buzzell
  • Bill Buzzell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Mr. Sternas,

I would like to install CT to a RAM mounted drive. I simply mount a 3gb virtual-drive allocated in ram, then want to move the codetyphon.zip file to it and install as normal. I then will configure it to my liking, then wrap it in an ISO and save to HDD, to load it back to RAM in the future.

CT is a good candidate to see major speed improvements using the RAM-mount concept. Imagine CodeTyphon compiling at 10X speed. What is amazing is how simple ram mounting is to implement. This is the new trick in the gaming community...load the whole game in-ram...cut out all the bottlenecks(hard drives mainly). Bottom line is a much faster, stabler, solid memory environment to compile to.

The only issue is that CT only is set to install to C:\ drive. I know there has to be a simple way to coax it to install to g://, right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: RAM Drive Installation 11 years 10 months ago #2136

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
  • Thank you received: 12
No one asked me but still...

There's no "simple" way, cause one need to change many-many-many-many batch files in which many...many lines are pointing at drive C.
It's not difficultness but time one should worry about.

As for me - I hardly believe that it is necessary. If you DO have over 3Gb of RAM it doesn't mean that anyone else does. I have just ONE Gb represented by 2x512 DDR1 modules with the frequency of 400MHz. Someone may have even less amount of it.

Besides - how many times do you have to compile CT that you're so concerned with RAM-mount? Once per day? Besides, it will take some time to read whole lazarus into ram from HDD. And it will take some time to generate ISO upon exit if you would change smth in the lazarus - for example installation of new component is what I'm talking about. Then mind the "3rd generation plan" and it's "roling updates" feature. And everytime you'll be forced to deal with ISO generation.

Loading what one need into RAM is all great and so on... but it is due to inability to make some code to run fast enough or to optimize it for using as small amount of hdd readings as it possible. And that without eating-up the whole RAM. Yes, there are some games, which could be and should be loaded to RAM with not all but SOME resources.

[offtopic] (Minecraft, for example, could be a perfect candidate to load it into the RAM. But minecraft do not need 3Gb of it). [/offtopic]

Anyway, should you insist on this, it's (probably) better to wait for Sir Sternas or post here (when you will be able to present smth) to submit your implementation of RAM loading in the form of some shell scripts. Don't forget that it should work on both Mac and Win (XP through 8) too. Some one could enjoy RAM compilation, but I believe this should be optional and working well under all CT's OSes ;)

Regards!
コンソールマニアック

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 4aiman.
  • Page: