Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
General discussions, feature requests for CodeTyphon Project and discussions that don't fit in any of the other specific CodeTyphon forum categories.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #1991

• Fernando P
  • Fernando P's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everybody:

I'm starting to use CT, but it has a strange behavior, when I close a form that is running, even one that is only the form without any component, always get a message like this:
Whoops, the Debugger entered error state
Save your work now!

Click Stop and wait for the best.

The debugger was unable to initalize itself.
The application did run (and terminated) before the debugger cloud set any breakpoints.
This may cuased by missing debug info.

The GDB command:
"-exec-run"
did not return any result.

How I can avoid this error?

I'm using CT 2.60 in Ubuntu 12.04 32 bits, and there is no matter what shell is in use (Gnome Clasic, Unity, Gnome Shell)

Thanks in advance

Saludos desde México

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Fernando P.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #1993

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101
Sir
I think, this is Lazarus problem

but, we will check this
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2002

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
  • Thank you received: 12
I'm running 12.04 and haven't seen this kind of error (redownloaded CT a couple of days ago - just after Sir Sternas told us to do so).
Maybe your project really didn't generate debug info? You should check project options for that.
Or maybe it's all due to paths and special symbols in there? On some win xp machines gdb is (at least "was") unable to run a file on the desktop or any other folder with non-english characters, so maybe here you've smth similar?
As for shells - try out MATE . It's a fork from Gnome2 and look-and-feel almoust like it.

I'm using it, and CT 2.6 works fine by now $)

P.S. I've ended up using MATE, since Gnome3 runs well for me only from live-dvd or live-usb. As soon as Gnome3 is on HDD - I have to wait for a 300-400 ms for any button to be clicked after I had actually clicked.
コンソールマニアック

Last edit: by 4aiman.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2004

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1101
MATE and CINNAMON are new Linux Desktops
Now we testing CT on Linux-Mint 13 RC (Maya)

We thinking (CT team) for a new:

1) "Pure Object Pascal Desktop" for Unix OSes,
CodeTyphon has many Libraries to try...

2) A Linux or FreeBSD Pascal programming distribution

your opinion guys
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2005

• Konstantinos Papadoulas
  • Thank you received: 19
I think i will go for "2", a Linux or FreeBSD Pascal programming distribution. And i am telling that because i believe that the first option seems like re-eventing the wheel. Not that it wouldn't be great but i think it will take much more time.

If on the other hand both cases are going to take the same amount of time & work then the first will be my choice! :)

Kostas

Last edit: by Konstantinos Papadoulas. Reason: Refrasing my thoughts

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2006

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
As for me - I'm for the first one ;)
And if you seriosly gonna do this then I'm in!

Programming distribution is cool, but some would like to base it on one distro while others have their own wishes. I think there's no way anyone could make such a distro that everyone who want CT would switch to it. For example, I'm using ubuntu for 2 years and I like it, even with third gnome (too bad it's too slow). And I'm not gonna switching to Suse/Fedora/Mandriva/Slax/FreeBSD, cause I like Ubuntu (although I had to work with suse and slax and could say no less good or bad as for some other distro - any OS either have bugs or don't work at all). Another person would tell you smth like that about his/her favorite distro. And having two or more distros installed is just wasting of a free hdd space. Besides, we're coding for people who probably do not want to use CT distro, as they're need their OS for different things than coding.

But Desktop for any system would be great! Yes, that's a LOT more work to be done, but this way we could:

- create Desktop for several platforms so not one, but MANY OSes could became that programing distributions from the 1st idea;

- this Desktop could be done with installator - so anyone could install this programmer's desktop in the way we're installing CT now;

- desktop is better because otherwise we could end up saying smth like "Use our programming distro, as it contains everything needed for -=insert program name here=- to run properly."; And even if there would be CT for any other distro, the smoothest CT "run" would take place ubder that programmer's distro. If not we, then other would start saying that CT on the other platforms has more problems with "non-native" distros.

- We must not forget about Windows, as for many of us users of that OS are the bread and the butter. And making Linux/FreeBSD distro with all we need to make a Windows app is much more complicated than cross-platform Desktop. For example, I may want to use IE in my app. Or I'm going to use MS Access database. How I'm supposed to test that under Linux? Besides, there're several packages that depends on WinApi. Then we must either forget about them until there would be a port available or do smth for that things to run properly at least under Wine. And here we would be in need to deal with Wine bugs too, for example Jet OLE installation one (It gets installed, but no files found after installation).

- And the last thing. If there would be some distro after all... then wouldn't it be convenient to have some programmer's desktop in it? ;) Otherwise, what will be the difference between some OS+CT and that programming distro?
コンソールマニアック

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2007

• Fernando P

I'm running 12.04 and haven't seen this kind of error (redownloaded CT a couple of days ago - just after Sir Sternas told us to do so).
Maybe your project really didn't generate debug info? You should check project options for that.

My Ubuntu installation was maded as a clean inatallation, I don't like the "upgrade" process, and of course before install CT I did clean all the configuration files about any previous Lazarus / FPC installation (trully I deleted ALL previous configuration files).

The test with CT was maded simple, opening Lazarus and then push the "Run" button, that's all. I didn't change anything, either the form position.

Then I tryed for a couple of days, trying to correct the problem, check and unchek a lot of options in the proyect options, then I returned to default options and Magically Lazarus works OK.

Thanks for your concern.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2014

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator

gato2707 wrote: I don't like the "upgrade" process...

I've never said that my 12.04 wasn't clean installation ;)

gato2707 wrote: ..then I returned to default options and Magically Lazarus works OK.

If that's the true (and since no one said he or she had experienced the same issue), then you have to had cleaned all but something. I mean no offence, but you seem (at least judging by your messages count) to be new with CT.
I'm using it from ver 1.6 till now and at first I've this "magical things" like CT unable to be installed or IDE crashes just after beeing launched. And then I belive that I've cleaned all and my distro was also clean (and by this I meant "just installed").

There're several places to search for configs and you've probably missed one (or you had insufficient rights on some directories with one while deletion or instalation of CT).

But if the IDE didn't show you that some option are not at their defaults, then that's an issue. And if you could recreate that...
コンソールマニアック

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2035

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I vote for 2 (Linux Pascal programming distribution). If you are already thinking about it, then I suggest you to take a look at 25$ RaspberryPI ARM board with HDMI output. It can already run Ubuntu/Fedora and will be in almost every school in UK. Anyway, it's cheap price has made it a global phenomena, kind like a more powerful Arduino. On a first day of sale more then 100.000 copies (whole stock) were sold and Farnel site was down for a while. Having Lazarus CodeTyphon IDE running on it would really be a dream come true. It would boost Lazarus CT popularity a lot since QT/C++ or Python can not be compared with RAD CT at all, and we could finally positively exploit the myth that Pascal is best language for beginners to start programming.

www.raspberrypi.org
elinux.org/RPi_Hardware
www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2041

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
Are you sure that Rasberry hardware is sufficient one? To my mind people (probably) want a full-fledged OS and Rasberry is just 700Mhz and 256 RAM. I mean, Even my 2,93 GHz PIV is sometimes too slow not even for CT, but for Ubuntu itself (with Gnome 3 and stuff). Or you're running some kind of "clipped" distro? Yes, one could do even this
this
but I'd prefer to stick with "standard" PC ;)

added later:

Was checking any info on the Raspberry Pi I could find, but still it's no clear for me whether it could run ubuntu and win xp quick enough. There're many videos about it but I never find one showing Ubuntu is beeing booted up or the real speed of any OS. Also it would be nice to know how what's about "fun'n'games" under ubuntu running on Raspberry. Would compiz run? Would I've OGL working or I have to stick with vesa drivers (there're OGL hardware acceleration, but never found out what gpu is used and what drivers are needed for it)?

Avra, if you're in posess of Raspberry could you make some videos showing us the real speed and capabilities of the Raspberry? Like (again) boot time, compiz, maybe some game or software that uses OGL (Hedgewars or Blender), ability to use lazarus (standard one?), office and so on.

As for me - after several hours of exploring I'm allready expressed my interest in Rasberry, so I'm allready is somewhere in the line of customers. Well, even if it would be no use of it as a "portable" PC, then it could be a home theater while it's cost is way cheaper then of the latter one.
コンソールマニアック

Last edit: by 4aiman. Reason: Raspberry "investigation"

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2049

• Fernando P

I mean no offence, but you seem (at least judging by your messages count) to be new with CT

Of course I'm new with CT, but it doesn't implies I'm new in Lazarus or Pascal in general.

I'm using it from ver 1.6 till now and at first I've this "magical things" like CT unable to be installed or IDE crashes just after beeing launched. And then I belive that I've cleaned all and my distro was also clean (and by this I meant "just installed").

Well, it's maybe your first time, but not mine, let me explain: some times when you are chaning things in an overall configuration (at any kind of software), the configuration files are changed, and finally when you back to original options a new configuration file is generated, sometimes it become into a mess, but other times, the errors are fixed, maybe this time I was a lucky one.

There're several places to search for configs and you've probably missed one (or you had insufficient rights on some directories with one while deletion or instalation of CT).

Please believe me, I'm a rookie in CT, but I'm not with computers, programing or Ubuntu, maybe an alternative explanation is Ubuntu 12.04 is quite new (It was liberated at April 26th).

More about that, I was testing CT since 2.4 ver. in a lot of PC's with a very different Linux flavors, and this particully error appears a lot of times across my tests. But I didn't try to fixed at any of these instalations.

The main difference is this time I'm talking about an installation in my main desktop PC.

But if the IDE didn't show you that some option are not at their defaults, then that's an issue. And if you could recreate that...

Well, seriously I really want to have time to do that, but time is the main reason to make a choice for CT, it has preisntaled the majority of components, and the versions of FPC and Lazarus that I need.

Did you try to customize Lazarus in Ubuntu from SVN? Of course it is possible, but you need to expend much time making it. And the Lazarus version at Ubuntu repos still in 0.9.30.2 and FPC ver still in 2.4, is quite frustrating.

Anyway thanks for your concern and your kind answers.

Saludos desde México

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2052

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator

Well, it's maybe your first time

It's not like so now. But it was. Back then when I'm tried to install CT 1.6. English is not my first language, so I could've expressed about myself in the wrong tense. To be honest, Any serious english grammar test would give me a "C". That's without preparations from my side, but it's still only "C".

a new configuration file is generated

Well, actually, I don't know whether Lazarus saves it's config by creating a new one or just by rewriting some paricular values in the existing one. Never had a desire to know that :blush:

but I'm not with computers, programing or Ubuntu

So am I ;) In fact, I've graduated a colledge as a programmer and now it's 3 years since that day and I'm working in my speciality the same amount of time. ;)
Maybe I'm being too harsh on judging people (then let me apologise - I really had no intention on making anyone got angry), but "my" users (and there're about 300 PCs at the company I'm working for, and the number of users is more than 1000) seems to be the perfect beta-testers as it seems they can bring to malfunctioning almost any kind of hard~ or software.

Did you try to customize Lazarus in Ubuntu from SVN?

Yes, I did :) And, as you've said it took it's time. I think that this time is the main reason that repos have an old version of Lazarus. After all, Ubuntu is positionied as Linux for users, not programmers.

Anyway thanks for your concern and your kind answers.

Thank you too.
コンソールマニアック

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2058

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

4aiman wrote: Are you sure that Rasberry hardware is sufficient one? To my mind people (probably) want a full-fledged OS and Rasberry is just 700Mhz and 256 RAM.

Do you expect more for 25$? It seams that people will either use python or c++/QT on RaspberryPI, and I am sure that Lazarus can beat that and provide more comfort on the same hardware.

... but still it's no clear for me whether it could run ubuntu and win xp quick enough.

WinXP can not run on ARM architecture. For Ubuntu, it depends on what you consider "quick enough". If you have unreal expectations and you want to compare it with desktop experience then you will be disappointed. On the other hand it can run 1080p h264 video full screen without skipped frames, so it is ideal to use it for XBMC as a TV set top box. It will be also used in schools world wide where each kid will have his own piece on programming class. Schools are already big buyers of RaspberyPI, and that is the reason why i think Lazarus needs to be there, since I am sure it will be much easier for kids to program in pascal with nice RAD IDE then in any other option. That could boost popularity of our favorite language a lot.

Also it would be nice to know how what's about "fun'n'games" under ubuntu running on Raspberry.

Search for RaspberryPI Quake on youtube.

Avra, if you're in posess of Raspberry could you make some videos showing us the real speed and capabilities of the Raspberry?

I am still waiting for my 2 pieces. If I remember well there have been few videos demoing full Linux desktop (I don't remember what distribution it was).

Last edit: by avra.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2061

• Fernando P

After all, Ubuntu is positionied as Linux for users, not programmers.

Yes it is! This is the main reason to develop using Ubuntu as platform, I'm trying to make an app very close to users, not for programmers. In this way I'll test everyting in less time.

avra: Maybe the Raspberry could be a good option for to run apps, developed in Lazarus or in any other preffered language / IDE. But as I remember any (except of course VIM or maybe EMACS) modern IDE found the aviable resourses in a Rapsberry quite insuficient.

More than, Ubuntu can't be installed into a Rappsberry, there are only two avaible images and Debian is the preffered one.

You can read in Rapsberry blog about that, incluiding a request from Canonical - Ubuntu requiering Rapsberry proyect stop any effort to release an Ubuntu version.

Saludos desde México.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 11 months ago #2066

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

gato2707 wrote: Maybe the Raspberry could be a good option for to run apps, developed in Lazarus or in any other preffered language / IDE. But as I remember any (except of course VIM or maybe EMACS) modern IDE found the aviable resourses in a Rapsberry quite insuficient.

Trying to compare experience of desktop IDE with experience of IDE on embedded board shows that you expect similar comfort. I would never compare 500-1500$ with 25-35$. The point is not that. The point is that up to a few years back all embedded linux boards had just terminal output and one with VGA output was very rare. And now we have HDMI h264 1080p. With PI schools can afford to give each kid in a programming class his own PI. Years ago I had Delphi 5/6/7 running on Win98 with just AMD K6 200MHz and 32MB RAM and it used to be quite productive for the time. I expect running Lazarus on PI will be comparable (or even better) to that experience. That would be awesome and would beat Python/C++/QT/Java programming on PI in any sense. I would personally still develop cross platform from my powerful desktop pc, but for many of the new kids PI would be the only development opportunity they have, and for some making first steps with Lazarus would be a much better option then current defaults.

More than, Ubuntu can't be installed into a Rappsberry, there are only two avaible images and Debian is the preffered one.

You are right. Ubuntu was the first choice long time ago when I started following PI, and I never updated that info in my mind till now. This is from elinux.org/RPi_Distributions

Ubuntu was initially planned to be the default distribution, but the current version of Ubuntu only supports ARMv7 onwards, not the ARMv6 architecture used by the Raspberry Pi's processor. Therefore Ubuntu does not work on Raspberry Pi, and there is no further information about this changing in the near future. A bug report on this subject was submitted to Ubuntu's bug tracker. The responses to that bug include an unofficial viewpoint from a Canonical employee, outlining the amount of work required to support ARMv6 (and therefore, potentially, Raspberry Pi). See Bug 848154

Last edit: by avra.

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 10 months ago #2067

• 4aiman
  • Comix creator
to avra:
When asking for a games I was wondering about smth simplier than Quake, like Genesis or NES emulator (already saw C64 and a Gameboy) or like Hedgewars I've mentioned earlier. Guess, we'll know when we can lay our hand on it :)

I'm not really expecting something really great and fast, but I haven't had to use Delphi7 on a 200Mhz CPU with 32Mb RAM. I know what is Delphi7 under winxp sp3 on 128 RAM (DDR1), 32 Mb VRAM and Celeron CPU with 1,1 GHz. If CT would run on Raspberry at least like Delphi7 did on that hard/soft~ware then it is sufficient for me.

And even if I for some reason deside that Raspberry isn't to good for CT or for using it as "portable" PC (I'd like to boot my own "PC" at my work, for exaple), then it still could be a "home theatre" (well, assuming I have a TV and some aqoustics ;) ).

The autor here claimed he had compiled qemu for arm6 and ran winxp within it (fake?):
コンソールマニアック

Re: Error message after close any app 11 years 10 months ago #2090

• avra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

4aiman wrote: to avra:
When asking for a games I was wondering about smth simplier than Quake, like Genesis or NES emulator

MAME arcade emulator is on the way: hackaday.com/2012/03/22/the-first-raspbe...ld-is-a-mame-machine

• Page: