Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Components and Libraries for Graphics 3D Development, discussions, problems and suggestions
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14124

• Kendall Sears
  • Kendall Sears's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Transferred from chat:

Interesting thing I discovered this week after quite a bit of hair pulling. Under Linux, pl_GLScene will not display textures if the nVidia proprietary drivers are used. However, the textures display correctly under Nouveau. This was tested under Fedora 27 and 30.

The version(s) of CT were 6.8 and 6.9. The 6.8 was under Fedora 27 and 6.9 under Fedora 30. I also verified the behavior under an old Fedora 14 using CT 6.8, but it was 32 bit.

Can anyone else verify the behavior under other Linux environments? I used the Earth demo under the CodeOcean area as a main test, but none of the samples (nor my project's code) will display textures with the nVidia driviers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14125

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
  • Thank you received: 1100
My suggestion is to try pl_GLScene
on Ubuntu MATE with nVidia proprietary drivers

nVidia proprietary drivers IS THE problem in Linux World :)
PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14126

• Kendall Sears

Sternas Stefanos wrote: My suggestion is to try pl_GLScene
on Ubuntu MATE with nVidia proprietary drivers

nVidia proprietary drivers IS THE problem in Linux World :)

While I agree that the nVidia Proprietary drivers are a problem in general, the fact is that all professional level graphics software on Linux runs with the nVidia drivers, and my project works in concert with those packages. So I need to get it working under the nVidia drivers.

What I'd like to know from others is if they also see that the sample GLScene projects that use textures also fail to show the textures under their environments. If it is a Fedora issue then I can look for a fix there, if it is a GLScene issue with the nVidia drivers in general then I can look to fix that. I do not, however, want to waste even more time chasing false leads. I've lost too much time already.

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14127

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
Sir
we don't know if the reporting problem (not display textures) is from
-nVidia Proprietary drivers or
-pl_GLScene or
-it's Fedora distribution problem.

For this reason I suggest Ubuntu (or Debian) Linux distributions.

pl_GLScene must work OK, with or without nVidia Proprietary drivers.
We test pl_GLScene on ALL Host CT OSes: Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenIndiana and MS Windows before CT release.
So, I think it's NOT pl_GLScene source problem.

PS1: We don't know many professional level graphics software run on Fedora with nVidia Proprietary drivers.
We know many professional level graphics software run on Ubuntu Linux (or Debian) with MESA drivers.

PS2: Fedora 31 MATE and Debian 10.2 (Multi Desktops) are our LAB Linux Primary Distributions, we build and test CT on these distributions about 10 times per day

Last edit: by Sternas Stefanos.

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14128

• Kendall Sears
I didn't say they needed FEDORA and nVidia Proprietary, only nVidia. But since you've brought it up...

knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/lear...odesk-Maya-2019.html
knowledge.autodesk.com/support/mudbox/tr...esk-Mudbox-2019.html
www.linuxuprising.com/2018/06/how-to-ins...i-resolve-15-in.html
forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=82807

But I'm not here to have a distro urination competition. I asked here to determine if anyone had already run into the issue on the other environments so that I don't have to spend time installing/configuring other distros just to see if they have the problem when others may have already done so. Many, if not most, of the people who will be interested in my project will have installed the nVidia Proprietary drivers and likely some of the above software. I just need the thing to work, and not require IT depts who are already skittish about Linux to have to consider yet another Linux Distro.

Just for the record, I was developing on Linux long before Redhat and Debian were a thing, much less Canonical.

Sternas Stefanos wrote: Sir
we don't know if the reporting problem (not display textures) is from
-nVidia Proprietary drivers or
-pl_GLScene or
-it's Fedora distribution problem.

For this reason I suggest Ubuntu (or Debian) Linux distributions.

pl_GLScene must work OK, with or without nVidia Proprietary drivers.
We test pl_GLScene on ALL Host CT OSes: Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, OpenIndiana and MS Windows before CT release.
So, I think it's NOT pl_GLScene source problem.

PS1: We don't know many professional level graphics software run on Fedora with nVidia Proprietary drivers.
We know many professional level graphics software run on Ubuntu Linux (or Debian) with MESA drivers.

PS2: Fedora 31 MATE and Debian 10.2 (Multi Desktops) are our LAB Linux Primary Distributions, we build and test CT on these distributions about 10 times per day

Last edit: by Kendall Sears.

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14129

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
Sir
and I was developing on Linux from the first Linux Day (5 1/4 floppy disk at 1991)

So my suggestion remain Test pl_GLScene with nVidia Proprietary drivers on Ubuntu Mate.

Now, we tested pl_GLScene on Fedora 31 MATE with nVidia Proprietary drivers, without problems.
PC: i7 with Palit GTX1070 8GB JetStream

Always we are here to help you but without more information's we can't. :blush:

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14132

• Kendall Sears

Sternas Stefanos wrote: Sir
and I was developing on Linux from the first Linux Day (5 1/4 floppy disk at 1991)

So my suggestion remain Test pl_GLScene with nVidia Proprietary drivers on Ubuntu Mate.

Now, we tested pl_GLScene on Fedora 31 MATE with nVidia Proprietary drivers, without problems.
PC: i7 with Palit GTX1070 8GB JetStream

Always we are here to help you but without more information's we can't. :blush:

Thank you for the data point. Can you say what version of the nVidia drivers you used that worked? Are they the drivers direct from nVidia or from the repositories?

We're also using MATE as the desktop. The widgets are compiled for GTK2 in CT.

The Fedora 30 machine is using an i7, Quadro K1100M, 2GB VRAM, 24GB RAM, CT 6.9
The Fedora 27 machine is using an AMD FX series with 8 cores, GeForce GTX-960, 4GB VRAM, 16GB RAM, CT 6.8.

Attached is an example of what is happening under the nVidia Proprietary drivers on the machines above. Under Nouveau, everything is good.

Since we seem to have removed the distro from the equation, it's down to either the X modes or nVidia driver differences. I've verified that what is attached is happening on nVidia drivers with a wide difference in versions, so it is not an issue with just a single nVidia driver revision.

Also, wayland is disabled on these machines, so that has to be considered as a variable.

Linux nVidia Proprietary drivers, pl_GLScene, and textures 4 years 3 months ago #14133

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
Sorry for the delay but Sir @Makis , Lab programmer and Fedora "kung-fu" master, is out of PL LAB now.

Fedora don't has, one click installation procedure for Nvidia drivers like Ubuntu Linux has

@Makis, use this guide or Linux kung-fu (karate) procedure :whistle:
We tested pl_GLScene on Fedora 31 MATE with Nvidia 440.31 (November 4, 2019) driver.

• Page: