Question How to install 3rd party libraries

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
4 weeks 1 day ago #13408 by Graham
How to install 3rd party libraries was created by Graham
Hi, this may be considered a "newbie" type of question, but how do I go about installing a library or package in Code Typhon? I am aware of the install/uninstall Packages option, but that does not list the library I wish to install. For example, I want to use the Asphyre PXL framework (library) as found here: asphyre.net/products/pxl

I have downloaded the framework, but how do I go about installing it successfully in Code Typhon? I know there is already an Asphyre package (pl_AsphyreSphinx) available when I go to the install/uninstall packages list, but that is another library of theirs (2D/3D Graphic facilities) and does not provide me with the GPIO access tools that I need for the raspberry Pi 3 SBC. I need the PXL framework library.

A second question in this regard: When I installed pl_AsphyreSphinx as found in the install/uninstall Packages window, everything appeared to work correctly (installed and then restarted the IDE). However now when I go to install/uninstall Packages, it shows no packages installed (IE the left hand (Install) and right hand (Available for Installation) windows are blank.) Note I have nothing typed in the filters option.
I followed the instructions found here:
www.pilotlogic.com/sitejoom/index.php/wi...ll-unistall-packages

Interestingly, if I click on "Save and Rebuild IDE) then it shows all the existing libraries, with the option to Keep, and also the newly added library (pl_AsphyreSphinx) with the option to Remove. I therefore don't believe all the libraries have somehow disappeared or been removed, they just aren't showing up in the relative window.

If need be I can split this out into two questions on the forum.

I'm running the latest (version 6.8) of CT on my Ubuntu (version 18.10) PC.

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 weeks 1 day ago - 4 weeks 1 day ago #13409 by Matis A.
Replied by Matis A. on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
Sir
1) First of all it's NOT necessary to install a library to Typhon IDE in order to use it in your project.
You can simple add in to your Project Folders the folder(s) of the external library you want to use (Asphyre PXL framework).

2) You must install an external library to Typhon IDE only if you want to use Visual components of this library in CT Visual Form designer or
you want to use it in your project as pkg

In this case Typhon has codetyphon/typhon/pkglinks/ folder with *.pkgln files (are simple text files) to remember where the packages are.
To edit this folder files Typhon has Packages Link dialog

For a single pkg you can great/update pkg link with

PilotLogic Core Programmer
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by Matis A..

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #13424 by Graham
Replied by Graham on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
Thanks for the reply Matis, unfortunately I am still confused about this.

Firstly, I have NO packages displayed AFTER I install an optional package as listed (using the Install/Uninstall Packages option) in Code Typhon (for example if I install pl_AsphyreSphinx library package. See here:

Secondly, when I press the (Create and Fix Links) button in the Package Links window, it doesn't do anything. I have tried it several times both before and after trying to install a library using the "Install/Uninstall Packages" option. Is it meant to do nothing (from a user perspective)?

Thirdly, how do I install a library that is NOT part of the standard Code Typhon download. For example, there are thousands of different libraries for Delphi, some of which I use at work. In the Dephi IDE I can install any of these 3rd party libraries. Using my example posted a couple of days ago, what about the Asphyre Platform eXtended Library (PXL)? To clarify, this is a different library (Provides access to GPIO for Raspberry Pi SBC) to the one listed as standard under the Install/Uninstall Packages option (2D/3D graphics library). This library is compatible with both Lazarus and Delphi, so I should have no problem installing it in Code Typhon. How do I do this? I understand that I don't have to install the library, however I wish to use it in several projects, and having it installed makes it more convenient to use/maintain.

Finally, I have also tried to link to the library via my project as you have suggested, but I'm obviously still missing something in this regard too. I have included the PXL library path (see image below) however I am still unable to compile my project. I get a "Fatal: Cannot find PXL.Board.Types" yet the file clearly exists in the library path.

Thank you.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Graham.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 5 days ago #13425 by fredvs
Replied by fredvs on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
Hello CT team.

IMHO, it would be **great** if CT do fix this **very** old and boring bug:

bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=32367

PS: In the issue, Martin gave all the keys how to fix it.

Fre;D
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by fredvs.

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Away
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
More
3 weeks 5 days ago #13426 by Sternas Stefanos
Replied by Sternas Stefanos on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
Sir
where did you find this library (AsphyreSphinx)
and this library support Linux ?

PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 3 days ago #13432 by Graham
Hi Sternas,
when I tried installing the AsphyreSphinx library, I was really trying to see if it would also install the Asphyre PXL library, which I now know is a completely different library. Fortunately, I don't need AsphyreSphinx. I only need the Asphyre PXL library (which according to their webpage supports Linux).

• Sternas Stefanos
  • Away
  • Ex Pilot, M.Sc, Ph.D
More
3 weeks 2 days ago #13433 by Sternas Stefanos
Replied by Sternas Stefanos on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
Sir
we don't know if "Asphyre PXL framework" is compatible with CT
please ask to "Asphyre PXL framework" support

PilotLogic Architect and Core Programmer

• Graham
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
3 weeks 1 day ago - 3 weeks 1 day ago #13434 by Graham
Assuming it is for now, how do I install this library in Code Typhon? This is a bit of a generalised question, as I would like to know what the procedure is for installing any 3rd party library (that is compatible with Code Typhon) into Code Typhon.
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Graham.

• Klaus Riesterer
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
1 week 3 days ago #13447 by Klaus Riesterer
Replied by Klaus Riesterer on topic How to install 3rd party libraries
May be this is helpful: afterwarp.io/
This is the newer framework with FPC/Lazarus-support.