- Created: Saturday, 15 December 2012 16:29
- Last Updated: Friday, 08 November 2013 06:02
- Published: Saturday, 15 December 2012 16:29
- Written by Sternas Stefanos
- Hits: 4061
The release of Calculate Linux 13 beta
gives us the oportunity to test CodeTyphon on this Gentoo-based distribution.
Calculate Linux is a Gentoo-based family of three distinguished distributions.
- Calculate Directory Server (CDS) is a solution that supports Windows and Linux clients via LDAP + SAMBA, providing proxy, mail and Jabbers servers with streamlined user management.
- Calculate Linux Desktop (CLD) is a workstation and client distribution with KDE, GNOME or Xfce desktop that includes a wizard to configure a connection to Calculate Directory Server.
- Calculate Linux Scratch (CLS) is live CD with a build framework for creating a custom distribution.
More info for Calculate Linux 13 beta release here
Some CodeTyphon screens here
1. What separates Gentoo from other distributions?
Gentoo is a Linux based operating system (OS). (web site)
This distribution is best suited for experienced users and requires you to be able to hand edit configuration files using a text editor.
You must do the installation by starting your computer from a Live CD (A Linux environment with a collection of needed tools). The whole process is described in detail in the Gentoo Linux Handbook. This is time consuming, but not much harder than following a cookie recipe.
You compile all desired software optimized for your system.
2. Portage, the Gentoo way of managing software packages
Portage is a true ports (package management) system used by Gentoo Linux in the tradition of BSD ports, but is Python-based and has a number of advanced features including dependencies, fine-grained package management, fake (OpenBSD-style) installs, path sand boxing, safe un-merging, system profiles, virtual packages, configuration file management, and more.
Portage lets you install software packages easy as pie. Want to install unreal-tournament?
emerge is the definitive command-line interface to the Portage system. It is primarily used for installing and managing packages. And emerge will automatically handle any dependencies a desired package has.